does XP STINK ? (the list is endless, but here are some opinions)
XP has over 700 Exploits !
The cure is Robolinux for free?
MS killed dead XP support on : April 8, 2014
You love XP, but reality happens !
Advice: (pinching penny's?)
MS Windows, XP is now 17 years old and counting from (2001 to now) and MS (Microsoft) ended support long ago on April 8, 2014
Support means full support even phone calls ! The only support now, or future, is the Service pack 3 and few old patches, all now frozen in the sands of time.
MS = MICROSOFT every time I use that 2 letter abbreviation... bingo.
XP peaked at 77% and now is below 2% (falling like brick, RIP)
Vista peaked at 23% and is now below 0.45% 12/2016 (RIP)
First the good things:( I will not talk about or cover MS OFFICE or MS games or other MS applications"
the bad things: (and growing) XP is rife with pitfalls,
endless... seen them all I have... (most can be fixed driver wise)
- Your PC came new with XP it rans for 16 long years, what more do you expect? "egg in your beer"?
- Activation at MS still works. (that is if the key was not stolen by evil others using a KEYGENs !) oops, now you get to buy a new XP? wow....MS will not help you now.
- MS still has online support for service patch 3, and no newer patches forever... (making XP a virus magnet)
- The MS Online Plug&Play may fail, hard, now or soon but the manual way at ms still works.(see RECAP here)
will run only IE 8 .(max) There is no IE11 for XP and E8 is
frozen in Virus Magnet mode. (run Firefox V56 and up) So is a non issue
if you run new Firefox)
- If you lost your XP install disk like most folks did after 16 long years, I made a MONSTER XP disk here. << has all SATA drivers to it can run on most PC's.
you buy matching (used) HP install media for you HP the OS will load,
with no problems, that is because HP modified the media to support your
HP, but actual MS disks do not.
you don't have an internet connection, XP is always safe, ( you are not
loading infected software from CD or floppy or USB stick , that is)
- XP runs the Solitaire game all day safe.
- AVG Antivirus company still supports XP.
HP deleted XP support but there are some exceptions. Here is one, on a 15 year old HP PC. D510 SFF desktop (wow) If this link is dead, that means 15 years is too old (LOL)
- Microsoft (MS) direct support has ended on Retail , XP support, but not the military versions.(uncle sam has paid contracts here US.GOV has for 30 millions of bucks.+ )
devices added to your PC will
not be supported by MS, (eg. a new USB device, that most no longer support XP, like a new Wifi USB Dongle device)
- No new updates, from MS. It is the end of the road for XP.
- XP does not like newer hardware,
even most SATA chips are dead, loading XP with out real HP disk sets or
the F11 key Recovery. See my SATA fix. XP monster cure..
- XP (SP0) 2001 has over 700 exploits ! and far less with SP3 !, If you do not load SP2 or SP3, WIFI WPA2 mode will be dead !
- XP SP1 home also bad at 109 exploits
- XP IE8 (ends there MS does not allow IE11 to install on XP)
is full of danger and is a Virus Magnet, and vast web sites now ban XP IE8 or older !!!!, so run Firefox v56 +
XP has zero day exploits that will NOT be corrected, says MS ! <<< read that carefully !
- XP INSTALLER asks for F6 Floppy for missing drivers, (skip this until later is the cure but not if SATA drives missing see line 4 above.)
- XP installed fresh (if it even can be) get the drivers seen here. See here for Drivers.
- Microsoft Security Essentials MSE ,updates work, but may be frozen, IDK (most folks say frozen , but do your own research here)
- Microsoft is not now taking XP phone calls.... and for sure claims of your COA key was stolen if true, as many are. (this can be a real show stopper, your KEY stolen) forcing you to virus infected KEY GENS. ouch.
- MRT.exe , MS Malware software removal tool. patches. I think is now frozen. (to mid 2015 year final release)
- Many of the top forums , the members flat refuse to discuss XP at all. (with the terse UPGRADE it, bozo )
- The is no MS "Defender" for XP.
- If you call your PC maker, you will learn , NO XP SUPPORT NOW. Check it out.!
To hell with facts, I eat danger for breakfast ! you say?, sure.... (no me....)
To run XP you need the best 3rd party malware A/V package there is, AVG paid version comes to mind. (or ESET)!
Never run XP with out SP3 loaded.
(know to that SP3 has libraries full of new drivers inside too , that can
help a few folks get some old PnP drivers loaded )
Never Run the last XP IE8, ever, run the newest FIREFOX v56+ . (avoid
Internet Exploder, totally!) IE8 max only installs on SP2 or 3, but do not run IE anything here.
Do not run Browers of any kind that is just a shell for IE6,7,8, or you will be sorry! RUN FIREFOX v56+
Never run with out the XP Ransom-ware patch for . WANNACRY!
Never run lacking a hardware firewall in your router turned on , and all incoming ports turned off , inside said router fire wall.
Never run XP with the XP software firewall disabled. (and with incoming ports OFF)
Vista is dead and died Spring 2017 , get Windows 7 (or higher)
Many chips used say in 2002 , the chip maker never created W7 drivers. ( there are cures, but may take a new PCI card to replace the dead chip with newer working card, function and W7 drivers)
If you have Desktop you can put in a new video PCI card, or a new
wifi or ethernet card and get the PC running on say W7 that way, On
Laptops you can buy USB wifi/ethernet dongles.
This can be done to get an old XP box running ok on say W7.
The direct manual driver search works at MS. (even when XP PnP fails hard)
XP install disk hell:
MS XP will tell you at install time (not HP disks) and show ERRORs :
no HDD found (HardDiskDrive) Top reason? No SATA chip drivers on the CD.
worst disk is a real MS XP from yeaer 2001, the best disk is with
SP3 on the CD label, but is still very very weak on drives.) (not the
offical HP disk called the HP media kit it does work prefectly)
The XP install errors , for HDD DRIVE not found,
- Bad HDD or cables to it fell off.(desktops have 2 cables there)
- The SATA chips there are not supported directly with SETUP.exe (MS Install program) Use my the Monster CD mentioned here.
- The HDD has the wrong format
and is not blank, and empty. (I use the Dban boot CD to erase all HDD
that are not truely empty first.) Microsoft does not see HDD from
Apple or linux , formatted that way.
- The HDD is turned off in
BIOS, (on most HP PC it can't be turned off but on other brands most can be, or is a HP workstation PC or server)
- Using MS disks marked upgrade only and you are attempting a fresh install.
- Using HP disks and the drive is bad or not blank. (or full or no room for a fresh install of XP)
- Using say, Dell disks on and HP computer.
Links that can help (mine and others)"
The MS drivers may be gone but...
But all old MS OS updates/patches and for sure SP3 are still there (I tested it End AUG 2017 and it's a GO , tested with WSUS app.)
Many drivers page shows how to get them no matter what , if possible at all, Some are NOT!
If you chip maker never made Vista or W7 up drivers, there will be no drivers for that chip that does not work.
Example are NIC (LAN) WLAN (WIFI) , SOUND, SATA , Even some very old GPU (video) chips and many more..
See my SATA comments on this page)
Plug and Play, XP, (pray): TESTING by me... Summer 2017 to see WHAT's UP and what is NOT UP.
Fresh installed using XP with working slipped streamed SATA chip
drivers (I have huge driver cache full of SATA chip , MS does not
support, in 2001 nor in SP2 update)
I testing live PnP actions in XP using a huge box of PCI cards of every class (video, NIC, USB, sound, wifi,etc)
See my XP search here at MS on topic.
- 1/2 the old cards (about 25 old cards)some did not work live, and most newer USB devices are dead. (automatic PnP is dead)
- I found that if I looked inside the MS driver server I could find many still there.
- I also found most the drivers here, to built my monster install CD or better DVD.
- Some makers of old chip still have drivers for XP, many do not, (out of business or flat ended the practices of doing this)
is a virus magnet and its broswer IE8 or older is not allowed at all on
vast numbers of web site, and growing and IE11 can not be installed on
XP, but Firefox v56+ will.
all is this page is in my opinion only, and can change easy as the
world or MS changes. This is not HP affiliated in anyway, nor MS.